Saturday, July 3, 2010

Harry Potter, the Beach, and Part 1. of Mom's Visit

I apologize for being so behind in the blogging, I though I would be better. Alas, you'll have to settle for the long posts instead of the more frequent ones.So after my lovely night walk around the South Bank of the Thames River, the next day was back to work. I believe the Spain game was on Monday night and a bunch of us went to watch it in the Spanish bar that happened to be right next to my office. It was way too crowded there for me, so a few of us went around the corner where we were able to sit and watch the game from multiple flat screen tvs. After that we decided that since we happened to be 20 feet away from Kings Cross Station, we had to indulge our childhood fantasies and see Platform 9 3/4 (from Harry Potter). We went to the station, running past platform 5, platform 7, and then in between platform 8 and 9 we felt highly discouraged. However, one of the employees pulled me and my friend Jenni aside and asked "Are you looking for Harry Potter?" Of course! So he led us through a shortcut (we had been on the wrong side) and a photo shoot ensued. I'll only post one though :-)That Wednesday was the English and American games at the same time. Most offices, including mine, ended the day at 2:30 so that we could go to the pub and watch the game. It was so much fun! Even though I wasn't able to see the USA game, hanging out with my work and seeing everyone enjoying themselves and root the English to victory was an experience I'll never forget. Oh, and they never let my pint glass go empty which didn't hurt either.
On Friday I went to Brighton a beach town in the South of England. Jenni, Megan, and I took the train about an hour and half outside the city and ended up what seemed like a cross between Atlantic City and Venice Beach in California. There was a huge pier where our hotel was supposed to be right across from.However, we walked around asked for directions, and no one seemed to know what we were talking about. Megan called up the hotel and she said that they were right across from the old pier... There was more than one? This was news to us. We saw a long shape in the distance and decided that must be the old pier, so we started walking. an hour later we came up to what we thought was the "old pier." Unfortunetly it was the Marina. We asked a man if he knew where we were supposed to go since the lady on the phone was not very helpful. He laughed and told us that we had walked for no reason. It was indeed by the original pier we had been at. He told us to take to beach trolley and head back that direction. Tired, we agreed and had a nice leisurely ride back to where we started. A minute walk in the opposite direction of the pier we found the "old pier" that the lady had been referring to.

Apparently the old pier had collapsed and burned and that was all that was left. Still we were able to find our hotel, and we dropped our stuff off and ran to the beach.
Ok so it wasn't the sandy beach we were expecting, and all the rocks did not make for a comfortable place to lay on. Still, it was hot, and there was the ocean in front of us, so no complaints by any means.We wrapped up our day in Brighton exploring the nightlife, which was so much fun. Plenty of stag and hen parties (bachelor and bachelorette) to keep us entertained. They dress up in funny costumes and matching t-shirts. One groom even had on a wedding dress. Hilarious. The next day we spent some time on the beach and then returned back to London completely exhausted.

On Monday, my mom arrived in London for the week. I met up with her at her hotel right by Oxford Street, which is known for shopping and crazy amounts of people. We walked around the neighborhood and then out to a delicious dinner. On Tuesday and Wednesday I had to work so she explored London during the day and we met up after. On Wednesday, she met met me at my work and I took her to the neighborhood pub by my house, The Eagle. After, it was my friend Jenni's birthday so all of us (including my mother) went out to our favorite, very American, bar O'Neils. They had a live band that was playing covers. So funny to watch English people sing along to Sweet Home Alabama. All in all a fabulous time.

I think I'll stop there today, this post is getting a bit long! Yes, I'm still a few days behind but I promise to update within the next couple of days! Until then... Happy 4th of July! (although I have a feeling there will not be much celebrating here) :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment