Thursday, July 8, 2010

Mom's Visit Part 2. Bath, Hyde Park, and Wicked.

My Mom and I woke up Thursday morning excited and ready to see the roman baths in Bath, England. We took a 2 hour train ride to the English country side and arrived in Bath around 11am. The map we got at the train station makes the town seem WAY bigger then it really is, everything is pretty close together. We made it to the Roman Baths and they were so cool. They are built over these hot springs that are still there today. Different parts of the baths have been excavated and revealed massage rooms, changing rooms and places where you can even throw in your grievances. They also had these really cool statues of important people during the Roman ages like Caesar.The hot springs are still the source of the water in the Roman Baths, but I have to admit I would not want to get in there. The water looks eerily green and the thought of bathing in it grosses me out. I'll just tell myself it wasn't like that in its hay day. After wandering around the baths and soaking up all that history, we decided to go see the other thing that Bath is known for. The Royal Crescent. It's this interesting half circle of townhouses that is seen in lots of photographs of England. The designer tried to make it so that the front facade of the townhomes all look the same, but then each of the original owners could do whatever they wanted to behind that. So if you walk behind them they all look really different, some are huge and others more humble.
The next day we wandered around Portabella Market which has a lot of vintage clothes and jewelry. Then we ate a delicious lunch at Nandos, which has really flavorful and spicy chicken burgers, wraps, and sandwiches. Flavor is rare in English food from what I can tell, so I get really excited when I find restaurants that are not bland. We were pretty close to Hyde Park so we decided to go and see Kensington Palace, where Princess Diana lived. Unfortunately, they are trying to redo the ground outside of the palace, so there were a lot of barriers. We still managed to get some good pictures.That night we went to a show in London's theater district. We got appetizers and wine at this little french restaurant near the theater in the the West End of London. We saw the musical Wicked, about the Wicked Witch of the West from the Wizard of Oz. It was so much fun to get dressed up, even if most people were not. I tried to take pictures of the theater but none of them turned out!

My mom left early on Sunday, it was so much fun having her here. London is amazing and has so much to do, it was nice to do some of the touristy stuff with someone from home. I have definitely been taking my time checking out the tourist stuff. I only have 2 weeks left in London! Next weekend (the 16th), I'll be meeting up with my roommate Anna in Nice, France on the French Rivera, and then the following weekend Sean arrives in London and we start our trip to Amsterdam, Rome, and Ireland.

These next two weeks will be jammed full with writing my final paper, final exam, and finishing up with my internship. As always, I'll make the empty promise to update more frequently... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment