Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Work, Ascot, and Football - What a combo

I haven't been great at updating this blog, I always think about how I should, then get distracted with something else... Regardless, where did I leave off?I got back from Wales exhausted, and I had to wake up bright and early for work the next day! I've been trying to kick the coffee habit, and save money by not buying coffee in the morning. However, the coffee at my office is awful and so I usually end up fighting staying awake until lunch time, where I eventually I cave. You think I would learn by now. I'm doing "market research" for my internship which really just entails me googling companies and what their environmental stance is, then writing up a summary on the industry and inputting individual company information into a database. Fascinating I know. Still, the people are really nice, and they hired another intern who is my age. Her and I are now lunch buddies and chat at work which made it instantly more fun.The week dragged in the beginning but once Thursday rolled around it was my weekend. I spent Thursday at the Camden market which was incredible. Thousands of stalls were sporadically placed among streets and down hallways. You're supposed to haggle down the prices, and i was able to get 3 pounds off of a dress which felt like a score (until I did the conversion to dollars in my head). I left with some new clothes and a dress for.... the Royal Ascot!We woke up bright and early Friday morning for the Ascot. It's basically the British version of the Kentucky Derby. Everyone is dressed up and the hats were insane! Of course the people with the best outfits were also the people who got to be by the finish line. Just like everything in England, it was divided by class. We of course were in the "Silver Arena" with the rest of the commoners. There are grandstands and tables, but most people just picnic. It was so much fun, and I got to see the queen!
It was pretty warm out even though it was cloudy. Right as we we're coming back into London it started to drizzle, but all in all the Ascot was a blast! I did make a couple 2 pound bets and came out even. No complaints here.
On Saturday I walked around the Notting Hill area, we were going to go hang out in Hyde Park, but without fail - it started to rain. London and Seattle are very similar weather wise, however I think it is cloudier here in London. There are rarely clear blue skies.It's been "football" madness over here with the World Cup. Arcadia sent out a challenge to all the students in my program to see who could go to the most bars (of whatever country is playing). I was really jealous because some kids went to a Danish bar for the Denmark game. I totally would have shown off my awesome Danish speaking ability. haha. Perhaps Thursday when they play Japan. I've been to an Argentina game and went to a Spanish bar last night for the Spain game. I'm not that into the World Cup but it's still fun to go and hear the crazy songs and watch everyone freak out. Tomorrow my office is ending at 3pm and then we're going to the pub to watch the England game (the USA game is on at the same time, but i'm pretty sure no one will have it on in the whole city).

More next week after I get back from my beach trip to Brighton.These next photos are from a night walk around downtown London on Sunday evening. Enjoy!


Brazilian Festival LightsThe London EyeClose Up!Big BenTrafalgar Square

No comments:

Post a Comment