Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Wales!

I won't bore you with the details of my internship (maybe another time, but it's going well!) Instead, I will fill you in on my AMAZING weekend in Wales.
We left Friday afternoon, hopped on the train and headed for our weekend trip to Wales. The train took, what seemed like forever, but we eventually made it to... the middle of nowhere. Before this i naively had no idea where Wales was in realtion to England let alone the rest of the world. Wales is west of England and we had arrived at the western most tip of Wales.My first impression of Wales was that it was beautiful. Green grass, rolling hills, sheep, and the sea in the background.
We settled into our rooms, and decided to go for a walk to the nearest beach. The staff gave us a map and we made our way down the road, across a field, through the woods, and finally made it to the beach. It was totally worth it!
We then made our way back to hang out and rest up for the next busy day. Saturday was incredible. I wish I had pictures but since we were doing water activities all day i didn't even bring a camera. My group started off the morning with sea kayaking. We started off in this small bay....Then we kayaked around the coast going into caves and learning about the sea life that lived there. We saw jelly fish and what they call "sea gooseberries" or sea cucumbers. They look iridescent underwater and light up. It was amazing! After that we went back for lunch and then got ready for our second adventure... Coasteering. This entailed us climbing along the rocks and jumping off into the water. It was amazing. I even did the big jump at the end (only 30 feet but I still felt like a champ). We got back to the lodge and we were exhausted... and hungry. The food that they made for us was so good. By far the best food i've had since coming to London. I even took a picture of the lasagna that they made the first night (Which wasn't even the best meal!)Of course we had to go see the England vs USA world cup game. We trecked up to the local Welsch pub and saw the game end in a tie. After, we chatted with the locals before heading back to the lodge. The next day I went on a 7 mile hike along the coast. The first half was absolutely breathtaking, and the views were incredible!
After we got halfway on our hike, it started to rain. An hour of that and i was definitely ready for the long train ride home.
Wales is absolutely amazing and beautiful. I could definitely see staying again!

No comments:

Post a Comment